Troubleshooting: video recording

Follow

I can't record or upload a video
My webcam isn't recognized
The Record Screen video preview is frozen (or black)
I get the "Can't Connect to Media Server" error message
Recording stops unexpectedly
My upload seems stuck in "Processing"
My video quality is choppy/blurry/poor
My Audio is too low or too high
The Audio quality is garbled/poor
There is No audio on my recording

First things to check:

Run through the Video recording checklist to make sure your computer or recording device is optimized for recording, and to check for quality tips on camera positioning, lighting, audio, etc.

I don’t have an option to create or upload videos

If the "Create" or "Upload" buttons are not available on your dashboard, either:

1. The course is expired or not yet active,
  2. Your course is set to Organization Pay and is out of time. You will need to contact your instructor to change these settings, OR
  3. You are a student presenter, and there are not any "Self-record" activities available in your course.  Contact your instructor or GoReact administrator if you were expecting to see Self-record activities.

My webcam isn’t working or being recognized

If GoReact cannot see the webcam, usually it is because the webcam is not being seen by Adobe Flash on your computer. To check this see our document on Adobe Flash.

Here are some other steps to help resolve this issue.

1. IF YOU ARE USING GOOGLE CHROME: Note that Chrome (as much as we love it) now has an annoying EXTRA camera permission that must be allowed, even after you allow your webcam with Flash. You'll see this box inside the recording screen. Click "Allow" to enable your webcam. 
    adobe.png
    If you are NOT getting this permission box, it may already be blocked. Look to the far right of your Chrome address bar and find the "Video" icon (it should have a red "X" on it). Click the icon set it to "Ask if goreact.com wants to access your camera."  Then click "Done" and reload your page.

2. Refresh the recording page: Sometimes a refresh will re-initialize the webcam. 
  3. Close other applications and/or browser tabs: Often if another application (Skype, videophone, etc.) or webpage is using the camera, it may not be available to GoReact.
  4. Re-plug the camera: If using an external webcam, unplug/replug the webcam's USB cable from the computer to reset the connection.
  5. Check webcam software: Open your Windows/Mac webcam software (that came with the camera) to be sure the webcam is being recognized by the computer in general. If not, consult your webcam documentation on how to resolve the issue.
  6. Test another recording website: Open a new browser tab and try another webcam service such as Skype, or a site like https://www.onlinemictest.com/webcam-test-in-adobe-flash. NOTE: Make sure you allow Flash access to your webcam and microphone. If not, again check your webcam documentation.
    NOTE: Close the browser tab after this test, so that page doesn't lock up your camera.
  7. Try another browser: Try recording with GoReact in a different browser (Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Safari). Often this will work even when another browser refuses to see the camera.

The Record Screen video preview is frozen (or Black)

A frozen (or sometimes blank) "preview" window on the "Record" screen usually indicates that another application or browser is already using the webcam, or that Adobe Flash hasn't allowed the camera. Check to make sure other apps/windows (Skype, etc.) are closed down, then use the browser refresh button to reload the GoReact Record screen. 

If that doesn't work, run through the different options in the list above.

I get the "Can’t Connect to Media Server" error message

If this message appears, usually something is interfering with the recording connection. To test, try recording from GoReact in a different browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari).

If it works, then you may have a browser-specific plug-in interfering with recording, but just go ahead and record using the other browser that works.

If it doesn’t work in any of your browsers, most likely it is related to a firewall problem on your network. You’ll need to either:

1. Try recording from another location.
  2. Contact your network administrator about your connection problems (GoReact requires RTMP protocol, which is a global standard for video streaming.)

Recording stops unexpectedly

Because live recording requires an internet connection to stream to the GoReact servers, an interruption to that connection would stop the recording. If you can determine that your connection has been restored, click the "Resume" button to continue recording from where you left off.

My upload seems stuck in "Processing"

If your uploaded video seems to be stuck in the "Processing" status, first try to do a manual refresh of the page. If that does not fix it, most likely the media server has stalled on your video for some reason. Simply delete the video from your dashboard and restart the upload.

My video quality is choppy/blurry/poor

GoReact captures the video delivered by your webcam according to your webcam quality, computer performance, AND the speed/reliability of the internet connection to the recording computer. (Please note that virtual desktop environments will not work well with GoReact. Lag and choppy video quality cannot be corrected in a virtual environment.)

If the video quality is poor, do the following:

1. Run through the Video recording checklist to make sure you've optimized your recording environment for the best possible quality. That includes computing power and internet connection.

2. If you are still unable to make a quality recording in your particular environment, you may wish to either record with offline equipment (camcorder or mobile device) and upload your video, or record in a different environment (different computer and/or internet connection).

My Audio is too low or too high

For live recording, check the audio bars and make sure they stay in the green while you do some sample talking from the distance you'll record from. Then either adjust the mic/camera distance from the presenter, or adjust the recording volume using the slider next to the audio bars.

GoREACT-v3-audio-bars.png

The Audio quality is garbled/poor

This could result either from the mic/camera being too close or too far from the presenter, or poor mic hardware. Do some test recordings with various distances to identify which is causing the issue. If needed, try recording with another webcam. GoReact will record whatever audio signal is sent to it from the recording hardware.

There is No audio on my recording

Check your microphone source. Click the "Audio Settings" button check to make sure the mic input is the correct one. While on the "Settings" box, also check your audio level and make sure you see green bars of input on the meter when you speak.

Have more questions? Submit a request

Comments